Introduction to Philosophy Section
Philosophy is essential to a meaningful life. We live each day with a framework about how the world works, our purpose and place, and what is right and wrong. We may not be conscious of that framework and our personal philosophy but it guides our actions and thoughts all the same. I believe there is great benefit to us as individuals and to society from a thoughtful examination of the concepts and principles guiding our attitudes and actions. We should understand our current philosophy and seek to improve upon it so that we may lead a better and happier life. This examination helps us and society progress. As part of my attempt to do this for myself, I will from time to time write and post short pieces on various philosophical topics. These will focus primarily on moral and political philosophy. My hope is that my efforts to understand, integrate, and apply the ideas and lessons from some of the greatest minds will be of interest or help to others.
Here are links to philosophy pages.
Here are links to my posts related to philosophy.
- Wise words in Anna Karenina
- The Moral Animal – A Brief Review
- Montaigne Biography
- The Times They are A-changin’ — then and now
- Political decay — Insights from Francis Fukuyama
- Character should matter in elections
- Epictetus and the Stoics – Advice on Living a Good Life
- Fearless sifting and winnowing
- So much we don’t understand — spooky action at a distance
- Mowing the lawn, duty, living your dream, and happiness
- Philosophy, Politics, & Democracy — Teaching Plato in Palestine
- FX’s “The Americans” and moral conflict
- The value of a traditional liberal arts education
- Should we trust our feelings in making moral judgments?